AboutThank you for visiting this International Organic Trade Resource Guide. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agriculture Service (FAS) provided funding for the site, which is administered by the Organic Trade Association’s Organic Export Program.
How to use this site
This site is prepared primarily for US businesses interested in selling their organic agricultural products around the world.
- You will find information specific to selling organic products.
- Use the map or the drop down menu to choose a destination for your products. The information is provided for each country or region, and includes links to the organic regulations or standards, contact information for government agencies, special requirements for imported organic products, information about certification, and more.
- There may be additional regulations for your products that apply to all imported products, or specific categories of products, such as meat, dairy, fresh foods, textiles, etc. Use the Import Tools tab to find resources that help with more general import regulations in your destination country.
- You can also see information about organic-specific trade agreements with the United States.
- Export Tools: This section highlights resources for exporters in the United States. Location-based resources are found in the State resources section, and resources available to all US businesses are in the Federal section.
Understanding the market access criteria
Ease of meeting regulatory requirements for importing organic products from the United States is indicated as one of three categories. This is meant to be an informational guideline for organic products in general, not specific legal advice for any particular product, and is based on the following criteria:
Open to Imports (indicated by a green hexagon on country pages)
Countries with this designation
1. Have a bilateral equivalency agreement with the United States OR
2. The country’s organic legislation or regulation does not address imported products OR
3. The country’s organic legislation or regulations have not been implemented or enforced.
Light Barriers to Imports (indicated by an orange hexagon on country pages)
1. The country’s organic legislation or regulations includes imported products or importers AND/OR
2. Importers are required to register or be certified as organic operators with an authorized government agency AND/OR
3. Imported products labeled "organic" or other equivalent designations, such as "eco", must be certified to the country's organic regulation by a certifier approved by the country's authorized agencies
Restrictive Requirements for Imports (indicated by a red hexagon on country pages)
The country's organic legislation or regulation imposes significant requirements on imported organic products and/or for accreditation of certification bodies.
About the Organic Trade Association
The Organic Trade Association (OTA) brings the US organic industry to emerging and established markets around the world. OTA’s international programs create new opportunities for organic product businesses through promotions, exporter education, business-to-business connections, and trade negotiations.
OTA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation or marital/family status. Persons with disabilities, who require alternative means for communication of program information, should contact us.
Thanks to OTA’s International Team, especially Wolf, DiMatteo + Associates and Sustainable Strategies, for their expertise on international regulatory and market issues and for their work on this project.
- Wolf, DiMatteo + Associates (www.organicspecialists.com) delivers the strategic expertise to help organic, socially and environmentally responsible products and projects reach their full potential—and flourish.
- Sustainable Strategies, LLC, founded by Bob Anderson, provides sustainable development strategies and organic consulting services to companies, organizations, governments and countries, worldwide.